27.11.12

If you see it, you've missed it


I was waiting to catch the ferry from Circular Quay to Milsons Point in Sydney, when I saw the seagull sitting on the pylon. The Sydney Opera House made for a great backdrop, so I took a couple of frames as the seagull sat there. I wanted it to get up and fly off, so I kept the camera trained on the scene.
I stayed this way for quite a few minutes, willing the seagull to do what I wanted it to, but it didn't seem in a hurry to go anywhere. Out of the corner of my eye I could see the ferry approaching the dock but still I kept the camera trained on the seagull. I even contemplated throwing something at it if push came to shove.
Finally, as the ferry docked and everyone started getting off, the seagull stood up and took a couple of steps. I knew it was going to take off and, as I saw its wings lift upwards, fired off a frame, then several more as it sailed out over the water of Circular Quay.
I wasn't sure what I got ("if you see it, you've missed it") and excitedly looked at the back of the camera. I hit the back button several times until I got to the frame I wanted and couldn't believe it when I saw its wings perfectly upstretched moments before lift-off.

Gear used - Nikon D5000 camera, Nikkor 28-105 f3.5-4.5 lens (with macro), 200ISO

To see more images like this, go to - www.giuliophotography.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment